Friday, September 25, 2009

Here I am


I would like to apologize for this first post taking so long. If you don't know me, my name is Andrea, but a lot of people call me Andy. watashi no namae wa andorea desu. I moved to Osaka, Japan to attend Kansai Gaidai University for a semester long study abroad. I left for Japan on August 30th so I will start from there.

August 30th: I flew from Tampa to Dallas where my mom and sister, Michelle, met to send me off. It was so nice to see them even though it was only for an hour. Then I was off. The flight was long and extremely turbulent once we got closer to Tokyo. Apparently, there was a typhoon passing through Tokyo at the exact time I was flying in. I have never been so close to puking on a plane. The pilot made an attempt to land, but this insane gust of wind came and we had to pull back up. We circled around for twenty minutes and then successfully landed. Now it was August 31st: I had to pick up my huge pieces of luggage, go through customs which was a breeze, and then find All Nippon Airways to check my luggage back in and get a boarding pass. I used my Japanese for the first time and they understood me! I asked if they could speak English and everyone could. While waiting for my flight to Osaka Itami Airport, I met another Kansai Gaidai student. Non-Japanese people really stick out. The flight to Osaka was so much better and the flight attendants were so pleasant. I had the most delicious apple juice on the plane, now I'm totally hooked on Japanese apple juice. I arrived in Osaka, picked up my luggage, and found the driver that would take us to Kansai Gaidai which was about forty minutes away. We arrived at about 10:00 PM and I was starving. There wasn't anything open except for convenience stores and I was unable to change currency out at the Osaka airport since it was too late. A girl loaned me some money to buy some food and I paid her in US dollars, it was so nice of her. I bought a sandwich, onigiri (triangular rice ball with various filling), and more delicious apple juice. The convenience store was so cool and all the packaging was of course amazing. I met my roommates and flatmates at the dorm. I live in an apartment style dorm so four rooms share one big bathroom and kitchen. My room is small with a tatami (rice straw mat) floor, futon beds on the floor, two desks, and a balcony. Also, we aren't allowed to wear shoes inside and everyone has slippers. I love it, the floors are so clean because of it. I made plans with my friend, Maria, to meet up the next day so she could show me the way to campus. I passed out until the next day.









September 1st: I woke up at the crack of dawn because the sun comes blazing through the windows and it is impossible to sleep once it comes up. I got ready to take a shower and realized I didn't think to pack a towel. I used a sweater as a towel for the next two days until I could buy a new one. Maria lives in the seminar house (what they call dorms here) right next to mine. We met up and walked through an adorable neighborhood to get to the university. Man, it was a long walk and it is pretty much just as hot as Florida around this time of year. The walk takes about 25-30 minutes to get to school. The campus is big and very organized. They have a beautiful Japanese garden behind the main international building, it is so amazing. Maria went to take her Japanese placement test and I hung out in front of the international building. I ran into Aiko who studied abroad at USF last year and is dating my friend Jake that I took most of my Japanese courses with. She was waiting on Jake to get out of the placement test also. I was scheduled to have orientation later that day. Once everyone got out of the placement test, they warned me about how incredibly difficult it was. It is broken down into sections A through E. Most people could finish A and most of B, but C and D were very difficult. And E! I don't even know anyone who got to E. My placement test was the next day, so I was worried to say the least. All of the kids I know from USF were there after the test. It was so nice to see all of them again. There was Maria, Wali, Thai, Jake, and I met Travis and Carlos for the first time even though they also go to USF. Jake and Aiko were going to this shopping district and coerced me into rescheduling my orientation to go with them and a few other international students. I met two girls from California, Hannah and Lavina, and a girl from Colorado, Lucy. All of them, Aiko, Jake, Carlos, and I took the bus to Hirakata-Shi (Shi means city) which has the closest train station to school. I finally was able to change out my money in Hirakata-Shi at a bank. Then we were off to Namba. I was very confused by all of this and I barely knew my way back to school. We bought train tickets and jumped on. Now I know that we were on the Keihan Line going towards the center of Osaka. The views from the train were beautiful. And I still could not believe I was in Japan, it was all so amazing. They plant rice fields everywhere here so you can always see the beautiful fields swaying in the wind. We changed train lines and I am so glad I was with people that knew where they were going because it was confusing. Everything was in kanji that I hadn't learned yet so I would have been totally lost. We made it to Namba and Aiko took us to her favorite shopping mall, OPA. It was 13 floors of amazing fashion. It was overwhelming to say the least and I got my first taste of the sick fashion in Japan. Everyone dresses so well, they all look gorgeous! It is so inspiring. Namba is nonstop shopping. The walkways in between the buildings are covered and lined with thousands of stores. I felt like we were walking for miles. We went into some stores and I bought a new pair of stir-up leggings and an adorable purse. We made our way to Dotombori where they have crazy neon advertisements. They have huge 3D signs that move, also. There is a giant crab that I liked a lot, I want to eat a giant crab from that restaurant while I'm here. I guess the advertising worked. We found an adorable kaiten-zushi (conveyor belt sushi) restaurant. I had the best sushi I have ever eaten. I got the fatty tuna belly, and it was out of this world. The whole experience was so much fun. We walked more after eating and I found my new favorite store OIOI "Marui." I didn't buy anything, but made plans to come back another day. After spending all day in Namba, we called it a day and took the train back to Hirakata. Everyone showed me where to pick up the bus and it dropped me of right up the road from my dorm.








That is a cell phone charger.  Isn't it beautiful?












Fatty tuna belly, the most delicious of all bellies.




September 2nd: Went to a bunch of meetings at school and took my placement test. It was so difficult and I slacked on studying all summer. I had such a headache coming out of that test. I think this was my first day to eat in the cafeteria. The food is awesome! I love it and eat there almost every day. I never thought I would feel so passionately about cafeteria food, but I do. You can get ramen, udon, soba, rice bowls with various toppings, and my favorite the club lunch which is usually a meat of some sort with a cabbage salad, a bowl of rice, and miso soup. Yum! And it is the cheapest food in town. The club lunch costs approximately $4.00. I don't think I did anything this night, I was going to sleep pretty early the first week I was here.



September 3rd: I went to Hirakata-shi with Wali, Maria, and Travis. Hiroshi met us to show us where we needed to complete our alien registration. It was a smooth transaction and after we ate at Mos Burger. I didn't get one, but they had hamburgers with buns made of rice patties. It looked messy, but good. And they had melon soda, the king of all sodas. I think I am going to write to Fanta to bring it to the U.S. We had the opening ceremony at school at 3:00 PM and we barely made it back in time. We changed into our nice clothes and took off to school. It was so freaking hot, we were so sweaty and gross by the time we got there. The opening ceremony was really cool and they introduced all the big wigs at the university. After the ceremony, there was dinner. Holy crap this dinner was amazing. We walked to the cafeteria and on every table there was plates and plates of food. Some of the items on the tables: sushi, shrimp tempura in a spicy sauce, rare roast beef, sandwiches, cheese platters, vegetable tempura, dessert platters, fruit platter (with the biggest most delicious grapes I have ever eaten), salad, bread, and a ton more. I wasn't even that hungry, but I stuffed my face there. Later, Thai and Taka invited us out to an Izakaya which is a Japanese bar and grill where they serve skewered meats. Travis' adorable speaking partner, Asaka, came with us. It was awesome and Thai knew all the best stuff to order. We had yakitori (grilled chicken), chicken hearts, chicken cartilage with a mayo sauce, grilled mushrooms with daikon radishes, and some awesome french fries. I didn't know what kind of beverage to get so Taka ordered me a yuzu honey. I still don't really know what yuzu is, but it tasted like a sweet gin and tonic. It was delicious. They had a button at the end of the table to call the waiter. I enjoyed pressing the button and practicing my Japanese ordering skills. I'm glad they understood me, yay!


Mos Burger

Opening ceremony








September 4th: I went to school around 10:00 AM for a general meeting and stayed on campus for the Kyoto tour! I checked my mailbox to see if my class schedule was in, but instead I received a pink slip which means there is a problem with the registration. My class selections didn't go through correctly so I wasn't signed up for anything! The woman at the help desk told me to check off the classes I had signed up for. I could tell by her face that they were all full. I told her that out of all the classes, I wanted to take ceramics the most. She took pity on my and spoke with the ceramics professor to see they could force me in. And she got me in the class!!! I was thrilled. And I ended up taking Visual Anthropology of Japan which is a super fun class. I have to create a blog for that class also so check it out, andy-japandy.blogspot.com. For the Kyoto tour, all the international students lined up and a ton of Japanese students lined up on the other side. They pair groups up and then the Japanese students take you to Kyoto to see temples and other beautiful sights. Since we already had Japanese friends, we were able to just go with them. We went with Chiko who studied at USF last year and Jake's speaking partner and her friend. We took the train to Kyoto and they took us to Kiyomizu Temple. We walked up a big hill to get there and the temple was built into a lush mountain. It was breathtaking. From the temple, you could see the whole city. Everyone said that Kiyomizu is the place to be in the Autumn when the leaves start to change color. I can't wait to go back. I don't think I can do the beauty of the temple much justice by describing it, so see the pictures below to get a better understanding.




































September 5th and 6th: I didn't do much on Saturday, I think I just went to orientation and then went home. On Sunday, I had a seminar house meeting and then I met Aiko and Jake in Hirakata-shi. They both helped me out so much! Jake added me to his cell phone plan so I wouldn't have to do the prepaid and I got a free phone! My phone is awesome, I can watch Japanese TV shows on it! And Aiko did all the translating at the cell phone store. It was easy for them to add me to the plan! She has helped me with translating before also, which is so nice.


September 7th: Classes started! I went to school with Maria and got my class schedule. After her orientation, we went to the bank and exchanged money. After we had some cash, we went done the street to buy bicycles. We found two, nice, used bikes with baskets on the front. Riding back to school was fantastic. The commute time went from 30 minutes to 5 with bikes. And it is so much fun to cruise around here. I only had Visual Anthropology on this day, but it seemed really fun. I'm excited about it in the future. Maria and I rode home laughing the whole way. We love our bikes!





September 8th: First day of ceramics!  I made two bowls using the coiling technique.  They looked beautiful!  My sensei is so cool also.  I love that class so much.  Later after school, Thai took me to an obento shop and I got a delicious bento box.  It had panko breaded shrimp, a potato croquette, fried chicken pieces, rice, and pickled veggies.  And it was so cheap.  All that for about $5.00.

So that is a little summary of the first week and a half here.  More to come!  Stay tuned for:  Osaka Castle, buying a yucata, and my trip to Tokyo!!

2 comments:

  1. YUZU!!!!!!!!! It's a weird citrus like fruit. I believe the English word for it is actually the French word "citron". So good! Just wait until you have Yuzu Tea...

    Miss you tons and tons and tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. The descriptions of your experiences are captivating. I can't wait to read and see more!

    ReplyDelete